Saturday, February 02, 2008

James Toseland is third in testing at Phillip Island



British rider James Toseland claimed a morale-boosting third place finish on the final day of testing at the Phillip Island circuit in Australia.

Toseland posted a fastest lap of 1.29.754.Only world champions Casey Stoner and Hayden were faster. Toseland though was one of only five riders to break the 1.30 barrier over the three days.

A best lap of 1.31.012 on race tyres left Toseland sixth quickest in race trim, with the likes of Loris Capirossi, Chris Vermeulen and Hayden behind him.

Toseland said: “I’m really happy. I was always looking forward to coming here with my track knowledge and its nice to see the difference where I stand in the order with that experience.

To be at the sharp end of the times and see my name up there has put a bigger smile on my face. I will sleep well tonight on the plane tonight after this performance.

Even one of my mechanics said that it is so good to see an English rider at that end of the timesheets rather than at the other end. And the best thing is I can only get faster and stronger".